Friday, April 24, 2015

a gift, sort of ....

It's always a struggle to find something appropriate to give my 80 something aunt.  She doesn't want stuff - she's trying to get rid of stuff and I can relate to this.  Keeping this in mind I came up with these covered hangers and lavender sachets - I'm sure she'll use the hangers and the sachets will keep her drawers/closets fresh.  Next time we visit we won't go empty handed.


These are easily crocheted and I used cotton yarn - make a chain as long as necessary to reach around the hanger then single crochet (sc) as many rows as needed for the strip to wrap around the hanger then sew or crochet it closed.   I have crocheted around the question mark part of the hanger but it tends to pick up some grunge so it wasn't a good idea.  I embellish them by making a crocheted chain that I tie in a bow and these ones have a crocheted mini butterfly on them - more about the butterflies in another post. 

7 comments:

Timi said...

I think it's a great idea!!! Practical and beautiful!

Justine said...

Beautiful and very useful! I'm sure she will love them.

Carol said...

I know just what you mean about finding it hard to know what to gift older folks, Kate! My mom and MIL both have birthdays coming up (along with Mother's Day) and they really don't need much of anything (except maybe my time--and I live far from both of them!).

Your gifts are a great idea--will have to remember that (and learn how to crochet!!).

Anonymous said...

Great idea for anyone! I like these. I look forward to the butterfly post.

Brigitte said...

What a great gift idea for someone who doesn't want to add more things for decoration.

Jo said...

Such a lovely idea.

Mii Stitch said...

They are not my cup of tea really. But I can see them being useful and the time you took to prepare this gifts for your aunt. I'm sure she'll appreciate them :)