Friday, April 7, 2017

out and about .....

On Wednesday my fella suggested we take a drive and a picnic lunch to Riding Mountain National Park which is about 60 kms. from here - it was a beautiful sunny day.   This year Canada is celebrating her 150th birthday on Canada Day, July 1; for the entire year there is free admission to all of the National Parks in the country!  This park is commonly referred to as Clear Lake with Clear Lake being the largest lake in the park and the coldest - it's spring fed and ice cold even at the height of summer - the townsite, Wasagaming, is on the shore of Clear Lake.  The park has several beautiful lakes and hiking trails, good fishing and lots of wildlife including bison and moose - it's truly a beautiful place.  I grew up about 150 kms south of the park - visited  a lot while growing up  -  it's where I went to summer camp - I have a lot of good memories of this park.  Interestingly, folks who live on the north side of the park refer to it as the mountain - the escarpment is a well defined rise when seen from the north - from the south it's a very gradual climb and the escarpment is not noticeable - the folks from the south side commonly refer to the park as Clear Lake.  These photos were taken in the townsite ....




The townsite is at the south end of the park and when we got to that point we decided to continue south and have a short visit with my aunt who lives in my hometown of Rivers.  Aunt Lou is petite - she's shoulder height to me - lives on her own - does her own cleaning - still wears make up - she is my late mom's only sister.  She's a hoot .... she mentioned while we were there, "I never thought I'd have anything wrong with me at this age"  - she'll be 85 in June.  lol

On Thursday we went to the cabin again - we wanted to see the open river - the white that you see is ice and not snow.



Recently I decided to dress-up my favourite old denim shirt with some flowers .....




he who laughs last, thinks slowest 



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun traveling. You are giving me itchy feet! I like your shirt, and would love a visit to that park.

WoolenSails said...

That looks like a beautiful place to visit. We have good weather coming, so hoping I can get out for some hiking.
Love the flowers, that is a fun idea.

Debbie

Needled Mom said...

It looks like a beautiful visit. I love your Aunt's attitude!!! That is great.

The flowers on your shirt look so pretty - a spring bloom.

Maria said...

What a wonderful looking area that national park is! Your aunt sounds delightful; a real character. I love what you've done with your denim shirt;those embroidered flowers are so pretty.
Tonight at my stepdaughter's hens' night party I met a friend of hers who in a few weeks is going to Canada to work on a ranch for a while...the town is Moosomin, the name of which had us all enthralled. 😊

Timi said...

Clear Lake looks like great place for a big walk or picnic! You are so lucky!!!
I love the idea of the little flowers you made! They are lovely!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous embroidery on your denim shirt, and don't those sculpures look realistic!

Jenny said...

Lovely scenic photos indeed, and as for those animals, so realistic. What are they made of?

Stephanie said...

My, what a beautiful place to visit! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos with us. Hugs to you!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow what great pictures!! Loving your journey!!

Anthea said...

Wow what a stunning location Kate - thank you so much for sharing the great pics, love those big "animals"!
Clever work on the shirt, too... I have no imagination & would never think to do such as that.
x

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for sharing Kate! My travel bug is always itching and I hope one day we wil be given the opportunity of visiting your beautifful country!
Love the embroidery on your shirt! So chic!

Brigitte said...

Wonderful pictures from your little trip.
Very creative how you embellished your shirt.